- Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/PopularMMOs
- Subscribers: about 12,378,205
- Types of games: Almost exclusively Minecraft
- Commentary: Yes
- Kid Friendly: Mostly. See "Channel Synopsis"
- Vlogs or additional content: Yes
- Post frequency: about 1/day
I love to watch games. To be honest, I prefer to watch other people play games instead of playing them myself. Because of this, I watch a lot of “Let’s Play” channels on YouTube. My new series “YouTube Game Channels” will illustrate some channels I have stumbled across in my viewing time. With that said, let’s dive into Volume 3: PopularMMOs!
- ♦ Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/PopularMMOs
- ♦ Subscribers (at time of publish): about 12,593,798
- ♦ Types of games played on channel: Almost exclusively Minecraft
- ♦ Commentary: Yes
- ♦ Kid Friendly: Mostly. See “Channel Synopsis”
- ♦ Vlogs or additional content: Yes
- ♦ Post frequency: about 1/day
“Popular MMOs” is an immensely popular Minecraft gaming YouTube channel. It has been around since April of 2012 and consists of gamers Pat and Jen. They play mostly Minecraft mods in various forms: mod showcases, mob battles, etc. The channel started out with just Pat, though.
Early PopularMMOs bores me. Pat didn’t have his momentum yet, so his voice is somber and dull. And, unlike JackSepticEye (which I wrote about in my last article) he didn’t convey any personality up front. I will give him credit for being matter-of-fact about the games he was playing, though. For example, his playthroughs of “Runescape” (his first game) were so boring, I nearly stopped watching the channel.
After a while, Pat got his groove. I think he’s okay by himself — he’s engaging, creative, and tries to keep the audience entertained. Some of the best examples of this are his Minecraft mod showcases. One of the showcases I watched was for a mod called “Monster Girls Mod.” He built an area and made special switches for each mob to spawn from. To be honest, I was impressed by his ingenuity, but there’s something missing: and that is where Jen comes in. Pat and Jen together are fantastic! I don’t think his channel would be as good without her. Their chemistry is great. Together, they make the channel.
My son is the one who watches Minecraft most of the time, not me. Which is why I found it hard to start watching this channel. However, once I got to watching the newer episodes where Pat and Jen are really in their stride, I must say I was actually entertained. So, my personal score for this channel is probably a 5.5 out of 10, because I’m not much of a fan of Minecraft. However, I’m rating this for those who would like the game, so my score for them would probably be 8 out of 10.
Missed my last YouTuber spotlight? Let’s Meet “JackSepticEye”!
Right now, my life consists of raising my son and fur baby, watching the internets, and occasionally writing about such web things. Make sure to comment on here if you want me to know something! Thanks for reading.
Latest posts by Manda.Roo (see all)
- YouTube Game Channels Vol. 5: Let’s Meet “TearOfGrace” - October 14, 2017
- YouTube Game Channels Vol. 4: Let’s Meet “VanossGaming” - September 30, 2017
- YouTube Game Channels Vol. 3: Let’s Meet PopularMMOs - September 16, 2017